Wednesday 28 September 2011

Why did I become a Multicultural Teacher?

I had had some training as an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher, and I was interested in teaching English as a subject. However, it was either a job such as this or no job at all.

In 1981 there were too many teachers for the number of positions available and I needed and wanted to work as a teacher. So I became a Multicultural teacher at a state school in a market garden area quite some distance from my house.

It took 45 minutes to travel to school, dropping off children and husband at their schools along the way. Often I made it to school just as the bell went in the mornings. The car was old and unreliable and often broke down on the way home.

It was challenging though! But I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment