Monday 12 September 2011

Second thoughts

I stood on the playground surrounded by children who were keenly taking notice of the proceedings in hand. Sr P, dressed in her brown habit, was shouting and pointing at two very embarrassed teachers, and one of them was me.
This was not a spontaneous moment, but a deliberate action to punish us for our wrongdoings. We had been ordered outside onto the playground so that she could reprimand us in front of the children. Our crime? We had allowed a class of children to become noisy while she was taking a prayer session in the next classroom.

If this was going to be my life as a teacher, than I wanted nothing of it. I should have taken a different degree, and gone to work in an office, but I had always wanted to be a teacher and it had taken me a long time to get there. As I stood there in the playground I nearly gave it all up. Luckily I carried on! And I have not regretted it either. Or been bored, ever!

On reflection, the other teachers at the primary school were so very forgiving, and told me that Sr P's temper was her cross to bear. However I still see a lady who needed much counselling and a very long course in anger management.

No comments:

Post a Comment